Thursday, January 5, 2012

a castle, cupboards, and sauce

So for Christmas, K got a new castle!  We put it up this weekend, and she LOVES it.


I got new dishes for Christmas and just got around to opening the box and unpacking them... which then prompted me to semi-reorganize my kitchen.  We have a line of counter and cupboards that separates our kitchen and living room.  I've thought about taking them out all together, but decided to just take off the doors and put some of my prettier things on the shelves.  I like how it turned out!

And one more random thing for today, I made a delicious tomato sauce last night.  In the John Besh book I got for Christmas, he makes a sauce using cherry tomatoes.  I didn't know you could do that.  Usually when making sauce you have to peel and seed the tomatoes... and I can't imagine peeling a million little cherry tomatoes.  Anyway, here's what went into the sauce.


I just cut the onion up and sauteed it with a TINY bit of olive oil, then peeled the garlic and threw that in too.  I gave that a few minutes and then added the cherry tomatoes and the sweet peppers.  I just cut off the stems of the peppers, cut them in half, and threw them in.  And, lastly, two cans of stewed tomatoes.  I let it all cook on low until the tomatoes burst and the peppers softened, kind of like this:

I let this cook a bit longer, and turned off the heat.  I let it cool a bit, and then pureed it in my food processor.   I ended up adding some special sauce  (the burrito sauce my brother gets from California) when I heated it up again for a little kick.  I cooked some whole wheat pasta, threw the two together, and there you go!  So much more healthy and delicious than the canned variety!


And since I don't have a picture of the finished product, here is another picture of my girl!





No comments:

Post a Comment