Wednesday, February 1, 2012

contentment

I spent some time today looking through photographer's websites and blogs for ideas and inspiration.  Somehow I came away from browsing through photos feeling completely... I don't know the word. 

Today I felt totally inadequate as a photographer.  I don't have the skills, I don't have the experience, I don't have the money coming in, I don't have many clients who aren't already my friends,  I don't have the full frame camera, I don't have the right lenses.  I'm not sure why I was having such a pity party for myself, but I was so caught up in the idea that "I am not good at this."

And then I started thinking about why I even own a camera in the first place.  When K was born we had a less than awesome experience at a studio inside of Babies R Us.  I left and thought, I could do that.  So, I sold some stuff on craigslist and with a ton of support from Brent, got a camera.  I upgraded my camera soon after because a lens I owned didn't auto focus.  I took pictures everyday and fell in love with photography.  I read books, read blogs, and took classes.  I met Donna Boucher who honestly changed my life.  When talking about where my photography would eventually lead, she said, "If nothing else, use it to glorify God."  I will never forget that.

I started taking pictures of my friends, and family,  and children, and I have found so much joy in spending time capturing special moments.  I love looking for moments that wouldn't normally be photographed, but are magical.  I love seeing joy in my friends faces when they see their pictures, and seeing the comments their friends and family make as well.  I have done so many free photo shoots and bring my camera everywhere.  And that's okay.  When I talk to Brent about the "business" aspect of what I'm doing and the fact that I don't bring hardly anything in compared to other photographers (but spend quite a bit) he always answers with, "that's not why you take pictures."

And he's right.  I take pictures because I love it.  I find so much joy in the whole process.  I love that though my life has changed and being a mom trumps everything else, I have found something that can be "mine," yet it's something that preserves memories of my friends and family at the same time. 

I love taking pictures.  I love the sound that my camera makes.  I love how it feels hanging around my neck as I set up the next shot.  I love the happiness pictures bring to others.  And I love how I can look at a picture I've taken and it gives me goosebumps.

 So I will be content with what I have.  I will take the best pictures with the stuff that I have.  And I am determined not to lose the joy that photogrpahy brings me, and not be caught up in the business/competition/annoying stuff.  I love taking pictures... wherever it may take me.

Here are a few that make me so thankful.











5 comments:

  1. Personally, the pictures you took of our family (and most especially the one you posted here) will always be a treasured keepsake for our family. I have virtually NO pictures of my mom and I, and now she is gone. I don't get the opportunity to take pictures of my girls and I since I am the one behind our family camera. You have given us more than you know! Thank you for sharing your gift with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, You have an extraordinary gift from God in your ability to take pics!! I enjoy looking at the ones you post!! LuAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best blog you have ever written. Never forget you are doing Kingdom work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out this video on YouTube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpunQZ4cUyI&feature=youtube_gdata_player


    I watch this video. It encourages me.

    Also, I am inspired so much by a photo named Snippet from Suburbia. She is the most talented, creative photo I know. She remains steadfastly....an amateur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The comments wouldn't let me correct. It's snippets from suburbia

    ReplyDelete