Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fresh Beef and Friends

Growing up, Tricia was one of my best friends.  One summer in particular, I spent almost all of my time on her family farm.  We rode on the fenders of tractors, practiced volleyball on her lawn, washed our hair in the huge bathtub, made homemade pizza for her hard working (and sometimes scary) older brothers, drank diet mountain dew, and listened to the latest Shania Twain CD over and over... and over.  It was amazing. 
In 2007 I got my first full time teaching job at a small catholic school.  That's when I got to know Theresa.  She is 3 years older than I am, so I knew who she was from high school and being friends with her younger brother, but we became good friends fast.  Theresa married Tricia's oldest brother, Tim, and now they live on that wonderful farm.  I went up the other night for a girls get together with the other women I taught with at St. Pete's.  We always have the BEST time when we get together.  We laugh so hard my face hurts and I'm worried I'll pee my pants.  One conversation from last night:
A few months ago Sherry called me and was very upset because her mother had just passed away and Sherry was having trouble with some of the issues that arise surrounding an event like that.  I hadn't heard how things had ended up, so last night I asked her, "how did things go with everything with your mom?"

Sherry looked at me, paused, and said, "Oh.  She died."

Probably inappropriate, but I laughed so hard I almost spit out my steak.

There are 6 of us that get together on a regular basis- Me, Theresa, two Rachels, Sherry, and Linda.  We could not be more different, but somehow we are perfect together.  So even though this blog is already 10 times longer than normal, here's a little about my amazing friend Theresa, and what she cooked for us last night.

If you have ever been lucky enough to eat steak that is like, DIRECTLY from the cow, you know what I mean when I say how delicious is it.  Theresa made steak, salad, pasta salad, and dessert, and it was amazing.  But more amazing than the food is my friend Theresa.  She is one of those women who is strong, but sweet, smart, but adorable, a farm wife with style, and one of those people who, even if you haven't seen them in a long time, you can chat with as though you never missed a moment.  She has two kids and is such a good mom.  I love the way her kids run barefoot and semi-naked around the farm.
And oh, that farm.  So many of the things are the exact same from when I was there growing up.  My favorite is the kitchen, and I love that the floors and the table are the same.  It brings back so many wonderful memories as we sit around and make new, also great memories. 




Here are a few other pictures from last night. 




Theresa has this sign on her wall.  I would have stolen it but I couldn't reach it.


                       Simple Joys really are some of the best things in life!


No comments:

Post a Comment