Friday, September 2, 2011

Bacon Broccoli Pizza

Before I give you two recipes for delicious pizza, here's my baby girl in her new fall jacket : )


Years ago I dated a boy who had a pizza place in his hometown that served the most delicious pizza I'd ever had.  It didn't have a red sauce, and it was topped with bacon, broccoli, and cheese.

Before you think, yuck, you really should try it.  And don't stop reading when I tell you the sauce is mayo.  Yup. 
I made two pizzas for some friends tonight and tried to lighten them up a little.  For both pizzas, I just used the Walmart brand refrigerated pizza dough.  I rolled both out, and took a fork and made little holes so there were no huge air bubbles going on.  I then baked the crusts for about 8 min.
Okay, so for the broccoli and bacon pizza, I cut the slices of bacon in half and cooked them for a few minutes first.  I put the cooked bacon on paper towels to drain and cool.  I spread a *very* thin layer of reduced fat mayo over the top of the crust, and put the bacon on top.  I sprinkled a third of the cheese (just shredded mozzarella) on top of the bacon and then added the broccoli!

Then I topped that with the remaining cheese and cooked it in a 350 oven til the cheese was melted and starting to brown.   PLEASE try this sometime.  Somehow it all really works!

Okay! Pizza number two!  I took two big beefsteak tomatoes from my garden.  I sliced them thinly, put salt and pepper on them, and stuck them in the oven on a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet at 300 for about 1/2 an hour.  They cook down a little and their flavor concentrates.  SO good!


They're gorgeous and healthy!  I threw these and some reduced fat mozzarella cheese on the other crust, and there ya go!

I haven't baked this one yet, that's why there's no picture, but when it's hot out of the oven I'm going to put some thinly cut basil leaves on top!

Who needs plain cheese pizzas when you have these two new recipes??

5 comments:

  1. Was that boy from Marshfield?? Scotty's makes a BBC!! It's one of my Hubby's favs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that pizza was from Scotty's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broccoli bacon pizza is my favorite. No one ever believes that it's good, but it's the best pizza ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you posted this! I just picked up broccoli the other day and planning homemade pizza tonight...will do a traditional pizza, but was wanting a second one and thought about Scotty's which I haven't had in YEARS even though we live near-by. I'm glad to know the pizza turns out amazing without knowing Scotty's 'secret mayo'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Scotty's BBC and was searching for ideas on how to make it with mayo and look what I found. Here is to small town USA!

    ReplyDelete