Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Hurting Heart

This is the first year I haven't gotten a classroom ready for the start of the school year.  I am so glad to be staying home with my baby, but it's definitely an odd feeling. 

I miss the school I used to teach at so much all year round, but especially this time of year.  After graduating in December, I subbed at St. Peter's thinking it would just be temporary.  I ended up getting a teaching job for the next school year and stayed 3 years.  I miss it so, so much.  I don't want to go back to be a teacher again right now, I want to be a stay at home mom, I just want to be near that school- maybe volunteer once a week, and I would love for my kids to go there.


St. Peter's is located in Hokah, Mn, which is a town of about 600.  I love everything about that place.  I loved the drive to work- short, but beautiful, and I'd stop to let my horse out on the way.  Nothing wakes you up like cool country morning air.  I loved how many days the kitchen at school would be filled with people peeling apples and making pies.  I loved how everyone knew everyone, and how parents and grandparents had been a part of St. Peter's.  I loved the whole school Monday morning meetings.   I loved the Christmas and Spring programs.  I'm not even Catholic, but I loved Mass.  I loved how the school and church felt like they were full of memories and life.  I loved my big classroom and the two whole walls full of windows; being able to see the bluffs, the snow, the rain, or the sun. 
 I loved being a teacher there.

But I miss much more than those things- I miss my friends.  I miss the girls I taught with so much that sometimes my heart literally hurts.  I feel like I've moved away from a best friend... but its more than one friend, its 5 best friends that are more like family.  I miss Sherry's spunkiness, Rachel F's wisdom, Rachel S's patience, I miss Linda's energy and vast knowledge, and the way Theresa and I just kind of understood each other.  We see each other whenever we can, but it never feels like enough.

Maybe someday my children can go to St. Peter's.  It's the best place in the world, and I miss it everyday.




3 comments:

  1. Aw. Making me cry this morning Laura dear.
    I am sure your visits and offers to help would be so appreciated....and maybe your children will go there....

    St. Peter's sounds wonderful.
    Katie's school, Blessed Sacrament is a wonderful place too.
    Although not one bit picturesque ;o)

    I'm sorry it's so hard. Maybe you should make a pretty bulletin board in your house. With leaves and letters and numbers :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, We miss you as much as you miss us. It's like part of our family is just a little too far away. But I know you'll be back someday, with your little children, to add to our school family. No worries, Laura. Just live each day the best you can, and everything has a way of working out. Love ya, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, You are the best. St. Peter's was very fortunate to have you and hopefully will again someday. I can't wait until I can volunteer there again, but as a Grandma:) Love you Laura, Joan VA

    ReplyDelete